Our Business and Operations
Food stores are our primary business and account for approximately 94% of total company sales. Our jewelry stores and manufacturing facilities contribute the remainder of total sales. The information below is current as of September 12, 2019.
- We operate 2,758 grocery retail stores under a variety of banner names. Our formats include supermarkets, seamless digital shopping options, price-impact warehouse stores, and multi-department stores, which are similar to supercenters, but offer an expanded variety of national brand apparel and general merchandise. State by state facts can be seen here.
- 256 fine jewelry stores under names like Fred Meyer Jewelers and Littman Jewelers. This is a high-margin business with good cash flow.
- Kroger is the only major U.S. supermarket company to operate an economical three-tier distribution system.
- Kroger also operates 35 food production or manufacturing facilities producing high quality private-label products that provide value for customers and enhanced margins for Kroger.
- Kroger operates 1,560 supermarket fuel centers, which are a natural addition to our one-stop-shopping strategy.
- Kroger’s 2,268 pharmacies, located in our combination food and drug stores, provide high quality services at everyday low prices.
View a List of Store Types by Quarter
|1Q 2019||2Q 2019||3Q 2019||4Q 2019||Q1 2020|
|Beginning of Period||2,764||2,761||2,759||2,758||2,757|
|End of Period||2,761||2,759||2,758||2,757||2,750|
|Total Supermarket Square Footage||179||179||179||180||179|
|Price-Impact Warehouse Stores||129||129||128||128||128|
|Supermarket Fuel Centers||1,547||1,556||1,560||1,567||1,569|
|The Little Clinic (TLC)||221||221||221||221||222|